Wednesday 30 May 2007

The Guerilla Poetics Project

Today I went and got the books I need for summer reading. As I was flipping through The Heart is a Lonely Hunter I came across this small green paper and on it was a poem called "Bring Me" by Adrian Manning.

a screaming bird
a burning horse
or a squealing pig
something to shock
the day into being
something to sharpen
the hours
bring me some steel
hone it for me
put it in my hand
something to slice
off the excess
bring me anything
searing heat
piercing cold
to shake
the vacuous
moment
bring it to me
but promise me this
when you leave
don't take it
away

I actually find it really good. On the back, it had an analysis of the poem and then it had a link to a website, www.guerillapoeticsproject.org. So when I got home I went there and there organization is amazing!

They get all these small known, really good poets and the create these little cards. Then the poets and "operatives" sneak them into books in libraries and bookstores all around the states and the UK. It's honestly one of the coolest things I've ever seen/heard of.

3 comments:

kav said...

Hey, my name is Kaveh Akbar - I'm a GPP operative and a fairly well published poet. Thanks so much for the mention on this site! Spread the word, soldier!

Feel free to email me at kavehakbar@gmail.com if you have any questions about small press poetry, GPP, or anything else, haha... take care.

j.b said...

i'm also a GPP operative and poet. thank you for your post; and we're thrilled you enjoyed the poem and appreciate the project.

bringing poetry to the streets is our goal, and so far so good!

Luis said...

I'm several months late, here,
but thanks for the mention.
Adrian's poem is a good one.
Be well, Luis Cuauhtemoc
Berriozabal, GPP Poet.